20

20

City of Silver Lake

The City of Silver Lake is a third class municipality located approximately eight miles West of Topeka on US Highway 24.  The City operates with a mayor/city council form of government and currently has five full-time employees.  The latest census figures show 1,358 residents in the City of Silver Lake. 

The City of Silver Lake boasts the following businesses: a  library, two  banks,  a grocery store with deli,  two  gas stations  with convenience items and food,  Chinese restaurant, Mexican restaurant, pizza parlor, neighborhood bar, liquor store,  barber shop,  beauty shops, laundromat, auto repair shop, machine and weld shop, accountant’s office,  certified financial planner, veterinary clinic, construction company, self-storage facilities, memorabilia  store, apartment complexes, and a car wash.   We also have several businesses on the fringe of the city: a hardware store, siding and window sales and installation, insurance agency, and chiropractor.

There are currently two churches of worship located in the city--Silver Lake First Baptist Church and the Silver Lake United Methodist Church.  The Lakeside Southern Baptist Church is located just outside the city limits to the west of Silver Lake.

Calendar year 2008 brought additional construction to both the grade school and high school.  The 2007 enrollment in the elementary school was 384 and high school enrollment was 355. 

BRIEF HISTORY:   In the spring of 1871 the City of Silver Lake was incorporated.  We are proud of other events, described below, that have made Silver Lake what it is today.

  • Telephones were installed in 1885, but it wasn’t until 1907 that a switchboard system was added.
  • In 1911 a new six room brick school building replaced the original two room structure and the first high school class was organized.  In 1928 that building became the grade school
  • In 1952 the high school burned and a new high school was completed in 1953.  New Grade School construction was completed in 1961 and in 1970 and again in the mid 1990’s the schools saw additional construction.
  • The two lane hard-surfaced road through the city was completed in 1928 and was later known as US Highway 40 and still later became US Highway 24.
  •  The original waterworks system, including a 50,000 gallon water tower was completed in 1946.  A new 200,000 gallon water tower was constructed in 1996.
  • A volunteer fire department was established in 1949.  In 1964 Shawnee County Rural Fire District #1 was organized and currently has two full-time employees.
  • In 1959 street signs were added to the city. The Lions Club numbered all homes in 1965.
  • The Silver Lake Community Center was built in 1969 and the City park shelter house in 1970. 
  • Construction of the sewer and main facility was begun in 1976 and was completed in 1977. Improvements to the lagoon were completed in 2007.

Welcome to the City of Silver Lake.  We are proud of our City.